If you decide to install hardwood floors in your home, it’s essential to know that this type of flooring requires a certain level of maintenance and care. Keeping up with these maintenance tasks ensures the durability and integrity of the floorboards, helping you enjoy beautiful hardwood that lasts for years.
Maintenance and Care Tips for Hardwood Flooring
Here are a few hardwood floor maintenance tips that will protect your investment:
- Wipe Up Spills Immediately: If any food or liquid is dropped on the floor, it’s essential to wipe up the mess as soon as possible. This small step helps to prevent stains and other permanent issues.
- Regular Cleaning Schedule: It’s inevitable that daily use will result in a buildup of dust, dirt, and more. Set a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule to stay current with removing the mess on the floors. Not only does this buildup affect the overall appearance of the hardwood, but regular cleaning is essential to prevent scratches on the wood surfaces. Use a microfiber duster to lift the dust and other allergens that can accumulate.
- Use the Right Products: Some household cleaners can damage the flooring because they strip the finish on the flooring. For example, vinegar should never be used on hardwood because it can eat away at the finish. Instead, look for products that are designed for hardwood specifically. The ingredients should be biodegradable, nontoxic, and pH-neutral.
- Polish the Wood a Few Times a Year: Before you polish the flooring, always check the care instructions – some types of polish can damage the flooring and void the warranty. When you polish the floorboards, it helps to extend the life of your hardwood flooring. Plus, polishing adds shine and makes the floors look great. Choose a water-based polish to apply several times a year.
- Invest in Refinishing: Most hardwood flooring needs refinishing every 7 – 10 years, depending on the traffic in your home. When the appearance of the wood is taking a toll due to wear-and-tear, then hire an expert team to help with flooring restoration.
If you have questions about caring for your flooring, or you would like to install new floors in your home, then our team is here to help. Contact On the Level Flooring at (951) 764-7726.